Rainbow Mountain Trek 2 Days
Explore “Into Peru”, hiking one of Peru’s most picturesque landscapes around Cuzco.
The mountains of Peru will leave you with an unforgettable experience, as you are lead into the Peruvian Andes by Discover Satori. During this trip you will enjoy an amazing night among some of the brightest stars you will ever see and a milky way so colorful it will leave you stunned. Also, you will able to see locals who are still keeping their traditional Quechua culture alive! You will see herds of llamas, alpacas and sheep with their shepherds and a selection of wildlife including soaring condors, falcons, eagles and, if you’re lucky, vicuñass. When you reach the Rainbow Mountain you will be amazed by the natural colors of the colorful sandstone mountains in the Vinicunca area. It is so different from everything else you will see in Peru! Rainbow Mountain truly is unique!. Remember, this special route which links part of the snowing Ausangate trek will truly take you off the beaten track. An adventure that will take your breath away constantly, combining wild desert landscapes, glaciated peaks, rushing rivers and challenging mountain passes. We get you away from the crowds where everything seems untouched and undiscovered.
Would you like a remote experience in the Andes? If so, then go by it¡
The wonders of Peru is full of tourist attractions and sights that take your breath away. Ancient indigenous cultures, Spanish colonial influence, the quest for independence, cultural mixture, and an astonishing geography have all shaped Peru throughout the centuries. For that reason:
- Relish in a morning visit to the absolutely secluded valley nestled at the base of Apu Ausangate Mountain (Day 1).
- Hike close to Snowing Ausangate Mountain that is the mountain’s tallest peak right before your eyes (Day 1).
- You will see herds of llamas, alpacas and sheep with their shepherds and a selection of wildlife including soaring condors, falcons, eagles and, if you’re lucky, vicuñas as well (Day 1 and Day2). And during the night the Andean constellation and Milky Way.
- You will explore the natural colors of the colorful sandstone mountains in the Vinicunca area (Rainbow maountian). ( Day 2)
- This trek is ideal for adventure seekers, couples, friends, nature lovers, and intrepid people.
Day 1 Cusco – Alqatawri- Ausangate-Anata
Early morning pick up from your hotel or accommodation at approx. 5:00 am in Cusco and drive 3 hours to the trailhead. While you pack up your gear our chef will be preparing a hot breakfast.
You will start hiking along a large green valley. Arguably, you will see hundreds of alpacas, local farmers, and the beautiful snowing Ausangate Mountain looming in the distance- this is only a teaser for what is to come on your journey. As you continue making your way on the trail you will begin to conquer the first pass of the trek- Puccacocha pass. At around 5000m (16,400ft), the pass sits just above Puccacocha Lake, and the massive Ausangate Mountain is directly in front of you. After a successful climb you will stop and enjoy a 360 degree view while the active glacier crashes into the lake below. From here, you continue on to Anata and you will approach very soon to your campsite (at 4700m (15,000ft)! .Tonight while you enjoy your dinner, you will see an unforgettable sky full of constellations, shooting stars, and keep yourself warm with coca tea.
Day 2 Anata-Rainbow Mountain-Cusco
After a hearty breakfast, you will get ready for your final climb to Vinicunca (Rainbow Mountain). Upon arrival you will take your time and will soak in the amazing views of the surrounding lands and explore the mountain itself. Take some time to really enjoy the beauty around you- it truly is a magical place. The best part is, we arrive earlier than other companies so you get the mountain all to yourself. From here, you will have the option to visit the Red Mountain Valley and explore another out-worldly landscape before hiking down the mountain to our departure point. Here, we will celebrate a successful journey, and enjoy lunch before departing back to Cusco (3 hours), arriving around 4 or 5pm with drop you off at your hotel.
Note: This itinerary is subject to change without prior notice according to weather conditions, landslides, roadblocks, or other events which are beyond our control. We will always do our best to follow the itinerary as closely as possible.
As you embark on a trip of a lifetime, make sure you are fully prepared. Our treks are challenging and very rewarding at the same time. Hikers should be reasonably fit and healthy. Remember you are trekking at a high elevation (above 4500 meters) and you should be rested up to start this journey. We highly recommend spending at least two to three days in Cusco or similar elevation to acclimatize, and drink plenty of water the days prior to the hike. Please consult your doctor for proper advice on trekking in high altitude.
MAP (Cusco, alqatari, ausangate, anata, rainbow mountain, red valley, cusco).
- Pre-departure briefing in our office or your hotel. Time to be determined by the Company.
- Private Accommodation: 1 night camping on the Rainbow/ Ausangate Mountain trek.
- Camping equipment: Dining and kitchen tents, Portable toilet tent, tables, chairs, and cooking equipment (all carried by the horses).
- Inflatable mattress: Thermarest air mattresses that are 3 inches thick and add a lot of comfort to sleep and rest.
- Pillow, rain ponchos and duffel bag.
- Transportation: You will be provided with all transportation for this trek. You will be picked up directly from your hotel around 5 am, and brought to the trail head. Our van will take you back to your hotel in Cusco.
- Professional Guides: English speaking, professionally educated guides. All of our guides studied English and tourism at Cusco National University. They all grew up in the Cusco region, and are committed to teaching others about their heritage. They are fun yet professional and will ensure you are safe, sound and happy so you can enjoy your time worry-free!
- Trekking Chef: A chef specialized in cooking on the trail, with an assistant to prepare all of your delicious meals along the journey to replenish your energy.
- Cargo Mules: On days 1 and 2, cargo mules will carry all camping equipment and your personal baggage allowance (7 kgs/15.4 lbs).
- 1 Saddle horse or emergency horse: This service will only be available on the first day of the trek, as those are the most challenging ones.
- Meals: 2 Breakfasts, 2 Lunches, 1 Dinner (Vegetarian, vegan, or special menus are available at no extra cost), 2 Snacks, 1 happy hours. All these meals are prepared by our Chef.
- Water: We will provide you water for your morning hike every day and again during lunch. We suggest to bring your camel bag and extra energy drinks for this trek, because being well hydrated is the key to feeling great in the mountains.
- Products for hygiene: You will be provided with a small towel, soap and hand sanitizer before each meal to clean your hands.
- Entry ticket to access private land.
- Entry ticket for Rainbow Mountain.
- First-aid kit: Our guides have received training in first aid from Physicians. Our guides will bring emergency oxygen bottle as well.
- Satellite Phones: Our top priority will always be the safety of our clients and our team. While all our guides are prepared and trained to deal with most issues clients have on the mountain. Being a phone call away from any doctor, hospital, or friend helps everyone feel assured that they are safe. Radios, which all our guides have, are limited in how far they can reach, so Discover Satori has added Satellite Phones to every trek. Every guide will have a fully charged phone that can be used anywhere on the mountain to connect us anywhere in the world. And they can be used by our clients for non-emergencies as well.
- Sleeping Bags:You can rent one from our company if you do not have your own. Our sleeping bags are effective and durable to protect from temperatures as low as -18ºC (0ºF). They are mummy form and include a sleeping liner. The bags are cleaned after every use and have a maximum usage of 30 trips. ($15).
- Walking Sticks:You can rent a set from our company if you would like ($10 pair).
- Travel Insurance.
- Tips for our staff:Tipping is of course 100% voluntary and should only be done if you feel like your guide, porters, horse men and Chef have done an amazing job for you.
- Additional costsor delays out of control of the management (landscape, bad weather condition, itinerary modification due to a safety concern, altitude sickness, change of government policy, political instability/strike, etc.).
DEPARTURE AVAILABILITY DATES
Rainbow Mountain trek is available most of the year, but closed in February because of heavy rain and landslides.
Peru has many annual festivities, special events and festivals such as: the Feast of the Sun in Cusco city, Easter Sunday procession, Folkloric Parade, Carnival, Christmas day, Bullfighting and many others. A solar or lunar eclipse would also be a special experience for you, this is why we recommend and guarantee your departure dates. All we need to book your adventure is your confirmation that this is the trek for you.
CLICK here to check your availability for Annual Festivities, Events, and Rainbow Mountain & Machu Picchu.
For this trek you will need one hold-all or duffel bag, which we will provide. However, you will be carrying your small day pack while hiking. Please pack as light as possible. A light backpack is key to feeling great!
- Passport (very important)
- Valid STUDENT CARD (if you booked as a student)
- Immigration Card (given on the plane as you enter Peru)
- Good daypack (the smaller, the better)
- Water storage: Water reservoir like Camelbaks or bottles are good for this trek.
- Water for the beginning of your hike. We will resupply you at lunch.
- Comfortable hiking boots (lightweight with good soles) and sandals.(very important)
- 2 Wicking/Hiking T-Shirts & and 1 hiking pants.
- Nice shirt and pants for Rainbow and Ausangate Mountain day – remember you will always treasure these photos, wear something you love
- Waterproof jacket/rain poncho, warm jacket, down jacket, fleece or sweater, scarf, wool hat, sunglasses, gloves, 2 set of socks.
- Sun protection cream, sun hat and sunglasses (very important)
- Insect Repellent
- Personal first aid kit
- IPhone/IPod for music
- Flashlight or head lamp with spare batteries (very important)
- Extra money for souvenirs, drinks & tips.
- Face moisturizer
- Hand Sanitizer
- Wet wipes
- Toothbrush and toothpaste
- Personal medications
- First aid kit: band aids, moleskin, etc
Price and Payment
We require a deposit of 50% of the total price per person, in order to book and secure any trek or city tour with Discover Satori. The deposit can be made by PayPal, which will incur a 5.5% merchant fee paid by the traveler, or by wire to Bank of America or Citibank (for free if you are a fellow account holder).
Please notify us if paying by wire transferor Paypal the address to send your deposit to is [email protected]. All deposits are fully non-refundable and non-transferable. In the event that you need to cancel your trip, cancellation fees will be assessed as outlined below under our cancellation policy. If canceling, you may not transfer your deposit to another person’s trek.
Bank Account Number: XXXXXXX (US DOLLARS)
Paying Bank: Bank of America, TX
Account Holder: Discover Satori
Swift Code: XXXXX
NOTE. Non-Refundable, Non-Transferable Deposit
WAYS TO PAY
1) Credit card Visa, American Express. Diners Club, Mastercard payments will incur an additional credit card merchant service charge of 8%
2) Paypal payments will incur an additional merchant service charge of 5.5%.
3) Western union payments will need to be addressed as follows:
Full name: FREDY CUSI HUAMAN
Address: APV. Jardines Del Inca C-10, Cusco – Perú
Please don’t forget to send us the tracking code (MTCN) in order to pick up the deposit and confirm your booking.
|GROUP PRICE (2020) FROM USD $222 PER PERSON
|Private Tours are based on Group Size (2020)
|Number of Trekkers
|Price per Person
|7 or more
Permit permitting, we are excited for this opportunity of a lifetime to guide you through the Rainbow Mountain trek.
Please read the following information carefully as it will help answer all of your questions about our services and the Rainbow Mountain trek.
ARRIVAL TO CUSCO
You will be welcomed at the Cusco airport by one of our representatives and taken to your hotel. Please ensure that you inform us of your flight details at least 14 days prior to your trek. Look out for our representative holding an orange board Discover Satori at the arrival terminal. You must exit the terminal, in order to find our representative (they cannot enter inside).
Your briefing will take place at our office at 6:00 or 6:30 P.M. the night before your trek, depending on your confirmation email details. Our office is located at Jardines Del Inca C-10, Cusco.
CAN I STORE MY LUGGAGE AT YOUR OFFICE?
Of course! During Rainbow Mountain trek, your main luggage(s) can be stored at our office or at your hotel, both are free. Please pack things you will only need during your Rainbow Mountain trek.
HOW TO BOOK RAINBOW MOUNTAIN TREK
FIRST, the following personal information is necessary when completing our booking form
- Full Name (as it exactly appears on your passport)
- Passport number
- Date of Birth (DD / MM / YYYY)
Note: We require copies of everyones’ passport as they are required when purchasing permits.
SECOND, we require a deposit of 50% of the total price per person in order to secure your Choquequirao trek. Paying by VISA or PayPal online incurs 5.5% service charge. Please pay to the following email address: [email protected]
WHAT ABOUT THE BALANCE?
The remaining balance will need to be paid at our office in Cusco no more than 2 days before your tour start date; cash is preferable (we accept both US dollars and Peruvian soles). There are several ATM machines in Cusco city center, otherwise, PayPal and Visa credit card is also acceptable, however, will incur 5.5% service charge.
HOW DO I QUALIFY FOR THE STUDENT DISCOUNT?
According to Peruvian Law, you must be under 18 years of age at the time of your trek, tour, or visit to Machu Picchu to qualify for a discount.
Note: If you book a trek at the age of 17 but you turn 18 before you do your trek, you do not qualify for a student discount.
- 11 to 17 years old, the discount is $30 USD
- 6 to 11, the discount is $40 USD
- 0 to 2, they are free
All students must provide a copy of their passport at the time of booking to receive the student discount. Email us a copy at: [email protected]
MAY I CHANGE THE DATE AFTER MY TOUR HAVE BEEN CONFIRMED AND BOOKED?
Unfortunately the answer is NO. Discover Satori will have already purchased the necessary permits and scheduled and organized our crew for your trip before you have arrived in Peru. If you choose to cancel your Rainbow Mountain trek for any reason, your deposit will be forfeited.
DO I NEED MY ORIGINAL PASSPORT ON THE RAINBOW MOUNTAIN TREK?
Yes ¡You must bring your original passport. It is very important that it is the same passport you sent us to book your Rainbow Mountain trek and other reservations. If you are renewing your passport, go ahead and send us a copy of your old passport to secure your permits and we can change it when you get your new passport. Please send us a copy of your new passport as soon as you receive it.
WHAT ARE THE DIFFERENCES BETWEEN EASY, MODERATE, AND CHALLENGING TREKKING?
There is a grading system that classifies the difficulty degree of trekking trails. Easy, moderate, and challenge. The reason we have categories is to help our client’s choose a trek in the Andes that is suitable for their level and don’t be exhausted. Clients are encouraged to have a good level of physical fitness and adequate physical training ahead of time is necessary.
Easy treks: It could be suitable for all people who love it outdoors this is for the hikers who do not have previous experience, or are not looking for a difficult physical, they typically involve walking up to 6 hours a day.
Moderate treks: Only for those who have previous experience in hike or outdoors activities, these treks usually vary from 1-3 days and can reach up to an altitude of 2,700m to 4,000m. This grade is recommended for any trekker looking for something a little more challenging than just a simple walk. These trekking areas are mostly Lares trek, Inca quarry trek, Huarocondo trek.
Challenging Trekking: We recommend to our clients that you have previous easy and moderate trekking experience. Difficult treks include walking through rough trails for 8-10 hours each day and crossing high passes. Challenge treks are both long rugged terrain and altitude increases as you move higher through the scale. These are genuine expeditions where trekking skills, experience fitness and endurance is necessary (Ausangate 5days, Choquequirao to Machupicchu).
WHAT IS THE WEATHER LIKE?
The weather is very unpredictable and it’s difficult to foresee. We recommend to always dress in layers as it is easier to adjust to the different climates. Remember, we have only two official seasons in Cusco, rainy season from November to April and dry season from May to October.
|Av. Max Temp ºC
|Av. Max Temp ºF
|Av. Min Temp ºC
|Av. Min Temp ºF
HOW MANY PEOPLE ARE THERE PER GROUP?
The maximum group size is of 10 people. Mostly our groups are between 2-6 people. Discover Satori specializes in small and private groups and provide a personalized service.
CAMPING TENTS SHARING
Please note, by default all Camping Tents are twin size.
Couples/partners: When you book for more than one person, we will by default group you together in a Camping Tents (unless you specifically request us not to). If you are unequal numbers (3, 5, 7 etc.) the remaining traveler will be roomed with another passenger of the same gender. Single travelers: If you are travelling alone there is no compulsory charge – you will share a double tents with another passenger of the same gender. single travelers who wish to have a private tent, if you request in advance you are going to make helpful for logistic staff and then in return they will choose for you a comfortable gear and make you don’t be worried.
ARE WE GOING TO BE PICKED UP AND DROPPED OFF AT MY ACCOMODATION AFTER THE TREK?
Absolutely, Hotel pick-ups and drop-offs are included with all of our packages. If you booked your hotel in the Sacred Valley, we will drop you off there.
WHAT HAPPENS IF I AM UNABLE TO FINISH THE RAINBOW MOUNTAIN TREK?
In case you are unable to finish the trek due to a health issue or other reasons, Discover Satori will assist you in getting to the nearest town for medical assistance. We always carry oxygen on the trek for any respiratory problems. In extreme cases it is highly recommended to head back to Cusco and take plan B, but you will cover your own expenses (Travel insurance required). There are no refunds in the unlikely situation that you are unable to finish the trek. However, Discover Satori may provide you with car transportation. Generally, those who have to be assisted off the trail are taken to Cusco.
If you’re happy with the services provided, a tip – though not compulsory – is appreciated. While it may not be customary, it is of great significance for the staff who will take care of you during the trek. It inspires excellent service and is an enhanced feature of the tourism industry across many Discover Satori destinations. Of course, you are free to tip as much as you would like, depending on your perception of the quality and the length of your trip. Remember, a tip is just voluntary and should only be given when you receive excellent service.
ARE YOU SUSTAINABLE?
Yes! We are a local, sustainable & responsible tourism operator that incorporates universal principles of tourism: protect the environment and benefit the local communities by respecting their culture and religion. With this in mind, we have trained all our local staff to know, understand and respect the sacred places and the local people.
|Duration and Trip Type:
|2 days/ 1 night. Hiking, adventure, history, culture and nature
|3-hour drive from Cusco. Departure from Queseuno (trail head)
|Moderate physical fitness or better
|Distance per Day:
Day 1: 14 Km /8.7 miles (5 to 6 hours)
Day 2 17 km/ 10.5 miles ( 7 to 8 hours)
Note: Walking times depend on the group’s hiking ability. The guide may change lunch spots and campsites, depending on the group’s progress.
|Moderate to Challenging hike, but rewarding
|4,200 m (17,217 ft) to 5,050 m (16,500 ft)
|Night 1: 4,700 m (15,000 ft)
|Season and Weather:
|May – October: Dry season
November – April: Changeable weather – cold, windy, rainy, warm, hot and humid
|Fully customized Private Service.
|Horses, Bus Transport and Accommodations
|Journey 3 hours by Private car to trail head, see the milky way, llamas and alpacas and enjoy Rainbow Mountain.