Choquequirao Trek 5 Days
Explore “Deep Peru”, hiking one of Peru’s most picturesque landscapes around Cusco. Choquequirao, which means “Cradle of Gold”, is located to the northeast of Cusco and surrounded by sacred mountains, the glacier-fed Apurimac River and seated on a high ridge within the Southern Andes. Located at 3,100m above sea level, Choquequirao is isolated deep within the mystical Vilcambamba mountain range. This trek is also known as the “Sister of Machu Picchu” and is considered the other “Lost City of the Incas”.
The Choquequirao Trek is for those serious hikers who want to enjoy an “off the beaten path” adventure. This long trek is for those who are in excellent physical shape/fit and have strong endurance. On this adventurous trek you will walk on Inca highways, hike through contrasting Andean landscapes with majestic glaciers, see unspoiled Incan sites and behold the elusive Condor in flight. You will also see several other species of birds, insects and cactus covered cliffs and lush rainforest vegetation. On the journey back to Cuzco, you will also get to enjoy the thermal baths in Conoc.
This trip is supported by horses for your convenience, and we provide you with top quality camping equipment and a very balanced, energy rich diet.
Would you like a remote experience in the Andes? If so, this is the trek for you!
Peru is a natural wonder, full of tourist attractions and sights that will take your breath away. Ancient indigenous cultures, Spanish colonial influence, the quest for independence, cultural mixture, and an astonishing geography have all shaped Peru throughout the centuries. For that reason:
- According to Lonely Planet Magazine, Choquequirao is considered the best region in the world to travel year round.
- Witness the panoramic views of the Andean mountains, and experience the breathtaking Incan ruin undisturbed by large crowds (Day 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5).
- Visit what many have deemed the sister city of Machu Picchu for its appearance and historical significance and the other last Inca Kingdom (Day 2).
- You will be given a warm welcome by Condors flying over the mountains (Day 1)
- Explore the other astonishing the lost city of the Incas Choquequirao (Day2).
- Hike along the winding Choquequirao trail with the high cloud forest right before your eyes (Day 2).
- You will enjoy as much as possible your bath in Conoc hot spring (Day 5).
Day 1 Cusco – Capuliyoc – Chiquisca -Playa Rosalina
Early morning pick up from your hotel or accommodation in Cusco at approx. 5:00 A.M. You will then begin the 4-hour drive to the trail head in Capuliyoc (2,850m/9,407ft). You’ll pass through the small town of Cachora and continue to Capuliyoc for breakfast, also, you will meet your horsemen here. Following, your trek will start by descending all the way down to Chiquisca for around 3 hours, where you will have lunch. Along the way, you will enjoy great views of Apurimac Canyon, snow-capped mountains such as Padreyoc (5,571m/18,387ft). After lunch, you will keep going for two hours downhill to our first campsite at Playa Rosalina, where you will spend the night.
Day 2 Playa Rosalina-Maranpata-Choquequirao
After your delish breakfast, you will cross the bridge and hike for the next 4 hours all the way up to Marampata village (2,850m/9,350ft), where you will have lunch here and will enjoy the view of Choquequirao Inca ruins. After lunch, you will walk for 2 hours to your campsite that is located just 20 minutes away from the ruins. Here, you can enjoy our view of the ruins into the late evening and watch for condors flying over the mountains.
Day 3 Full day exploring Choquequirao
After a healthy breakfast, you will complete exploring at the stunning sections of Choquequirao ruins. You will enjoy the private guided tour and explore all of the beautiful city sections: temples, terraces, palaces, llamas’ quarters, and others more. Then, you will come back to the same campsite for lunch and dinner and to spend the night. Choquequirao (Cradle of Gold) is also another “Lost City of the Incas” rediscovered officially late in the 20th century. It is located high on a ridge spur almost 1750 meters/5741 feet above the raging, glacier-fed Apurimac River and is surrounded by the towering Salkantay and Humantay snow-capped peaks.
Day 4 Choquequirao-Marampata- Chiquisca
Like previous mornings, after your delicious breakfast you will prepare your journey back to Cusco. It will take 2 hours back down to Marampata. You will continue enjoying all the landscapes along the way the Valley. From Marampata, you will begin the 4 hour steep downhill hike to La Playa. Once you reach La Playa, you will enjoy your lunch here. Following, it will be another two hours, uphill to Chikiska Camp, which is in the backyard of a family’s home or similar one.
Day 5 Chiquisca-Capuliyoc-Conoc hot spring- Cusco
After an early breakfast, you will get ready to return to Cusco. It will be a four-hour uphill hike until you arrive at the end of the trek, where you will enjoy your last lunch with Discover Satori team. You will say goodbye to your team and then will continue with your tour guide to Conoc hot spring. After this deserved bath you will head to Cusco for about three hours more by car. You will drive through Curawasi, where the famous local Anis tea (aniseed tea) is farmed. You will arrive in Cusco at around 7:30 p.m. Finally you will be dropped you off at your hotel.
MAP (Cusco, Conoc hot spring, Saywite,Cachora,Capuliyoc,cocamasana, Chiquisca, Playa Rosalina, Santa Rosa, Marampata, Choquequirao).
- Pre-departure briefing in our office or your hotel. Time to be determined by the Company.
- Private Accommodation: 4 nights camping on the Choquequirao trek.
- Camping equipment: Dining and kitchen tents, Portable toilet tent, tables, chairs, and cooking equipment (all carried by the horses).
- Inflatable mattress: Thermarest air mattresses that are 3 inches thick and add a lot of comfort to sleep and rest.
- Pillow, rain ponchos and duffel bag.
- Transportation: You will be provided with all transportation for this trek. You will be picked up directly from your hotel around 5: 00 A.M, and brought to the trail head. When you arrive back to the end of your trek, our van will take you back to your hotel in Cusco (Day 5).
- Professional Guides: English speaking, professionally educated guides. All of our guides studied English and tourism at Cusco National University. They all grew up in the Cusco region, and are committed to teaching others about their heritage. They are fun yet professional and will ensure you are safe and sound and happy so you can enjoy your time worry-free!
- Trekking Chef: A chef and his assistant, specialized in cooking on the trail, will prepare all of your delicious meals to replenish your energy along the trail.
- Cargo Mules: On days 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 cargo mules will carry all camping equipment and your personal baggage allowance (7 kgs/15.4 lbs). On days 1 and 5 your duffel bags will be carried by car to your destination.
- 1 Saddle-horse or emergency horse: This service will only be available on the hard sections of the trek, as those are the most challenging ones.
- Meals: 5 Breakfasts, 5 Lunches, 4 Dinners (Vegetarian, vegan, or special menus are available at no extra cost), 5 Snacks, 4 happy hours. All these meals are prepared by our Chef.
- Water: We will provide you water for your morning hike every day and again during lunch. We suggest to bring your camel bag and extra energy drinks for this trek, because being well hydrated is the key to feeling great in the mountains.
- Products for hygiene: You will be provided with a small towel, soap and hand sanitizer before each meal to clean your hands.
- Entry ticket to Choquequirao Archeological Site.
- Entry fee to the Hot Springs in Conoc.
- First-Aid Kit: Our guides have received training in first aid from physicians. Our guides will bring an emergency oxygen bottle, as well.
- Satellite Phones: Our top priority will always be the safety of our clients and our team. While all our guides are prepared and trained to deal with most issues clients have on the mountain. Being a phone call away from any doctor, hospital, or friend helps everyone feel assured that they are safe. Radios, which all our guides have, are limited in how far they can reach, so Discover Satori has added Satellite Phones to every trek. Every guide will have a fully charged phone that can be used anywhere on the mountain to connect us anywhere in the world. And they can be used by our clients for non-emergencies as well.
- Sleeping Bags:You can rent one from our company if you do not have your own. Our sleeping bags are effective and durable to protect from temperatures as low as -18ºC (0ºF). They are mummy form and include a sleeping liner. The bags are cleaned after every use and have a maximum usage of 30 trips. (Cost: USD $20).
- Walking Sticks:You can rent a set from our company if you would like (Cost: USD $15/pair).
- Last Day: Dinner in Cusco.
- Travel Insurance.
- Tips for our staff:Tipping is of course 100% voluntary and should only be done if you feel like your guide, porters, horse men and Chef have done an amazing job for you.
- Additional costsor delays out of control of the management (landslides, bad weather condition, itinerary modification due to a safety concern, altitude sickness, change of government policy, political instability/strike, etc.).
The Choquequirao trek is available most of the year, but closed in February because of heavy rain and landslides.
Peru has many annual festivities, special events and festivals such as: the Feast of the Sun in Cusco city, Easter Sunday procession, Folkloric Parade, Carnival, Christmas day, Bullfighting and many others. A solar or lunar eclipse would also be a special experience for you, this is why we recommend and guarantee your departure dates. All we need to book your adventure is your confirmation that this is the trek for you.
CLICK here to check your availability for Annual Festivities, Events, Choquequirao & Machu Picchu.
For this trek you will need one hold-all or duffel bag, which we will provide. This bag will hold the contents of your packing list and be carried by the horses/crew. You will also need a small daypack that you will pack lightly with essentials for the trek. A light backpack is key to feeling great.
- Passport (very important)
- Valid, STUDENT CARD (if you booked as a student)
- Immigration Card (given on the plane as you enter Peru)
- Good daypack (the smaller, the better)
- Water storage: Water reservoir like Camelbacks or bottles are good for this trek.
- Water for the beginning of your hike. We will resupply you at lunch.
- Comfortable hiking boots (lightweight with good soles) and sandals. (very important)
- 5 Wicking/Hiking T-Shirts & 2 hiking pants
- Nice shirts and pants for Choquequirao day – remember you will always treasure these photos, wear something you love
- Waterproof jacket/rain poncho, warm jacket, down jacket, fleece or sweater, scarf, wool hat, sunglasses, gloves and 5 set of socks.
- Bathing suits for the hot springs in Conoc ( It is optional )
- Sun protection cream and sun hat (very important)
- Insect Repellent
- Personal first aid kit
- IPhone/IPod for music
- Flashlight or head lamp with spare batteries (very important)
- Extra money for souvenirs, drinks & tips.
- Face moisturizer
- Hand Sanitizer
- Wet wipes
- Toothbrush and toothpaste
- Personal medications
- First aid kit: band aids, moleskin, etc.
Price and Payment
We require a deposit of 50% of the total price per person, in order to book and secure any trek or city tour with Discover Satori. The deposit can be made by PayPal, which will incur a 5.5% merchant fee paid by the traveler, or by wire to Bank of America or Citibank (for free if you are a fellow account holder).
Please notify us if paying by wire transferor Paypal the address to send your deposit to is [email protected]. All deposits are fully non-refundable and non-transferable. In the event that you need to cancel your trip, cancellation fees will be assessed as outlined below under our cancellation policy. If canceling, you may not transfer your deposit to another person’s trek.
Bank Account Number: XXXXXXX (US DOLLARS)
Paying Bank: Bank of America, TX
Account Holder: Discover Satori
Swift Code: XXXXX
NOTE. Non-Refundable, Non-Transferable Deposit
WAYS TO PAY
1) Credit card Visa, American Express. Diners Club, Mastercard payments will incur an additional credit card merchant service charge of 8%
2) Paypal payments will incur an additional merchant service charge of 5.5%.
3) Western union payments will need to be addressed as follows:
Full name: FREDY CUSI HUAMAN
Address: APV. Jardines Del Inca C-10, Cusco – Perú
Please don’t forget to send us the tracking code (MTCN) in order to pick up the deposit and confirm your booking.
|GROUP PRICE (2020) FROM USD $359 PER PERSON|
|Private Tours are based on Group Size (2020)|
|Number of Trekkers||Price per Person|
|7 or more||USD $359|
Permit permitting, we are excited for this opportunity of a lifetime to guide you through the Choquequirao trek.
Please read the following information carefully as it will help answer all of your questions about our services and the Choquequirao trek.
ARRIVAL TO CUSCO
You will be welcomed at the Cusco airport by one of our representatives and taken to your hotel. Please ensure that you inform us of your flight details at least 14 days prior to your trek. Look out for our representative holding an orange board Discover Satori at the arrival terminal. You must exit the terminal, in order to find our representative (they cannot enter inside).
Your briefing will take place at our office at 6:00 or 6:30 P.M. the night before your trek, depending on your confirmation email details. Our office is located at Jardines Del Inca C-10, Cusco.
CAN I STORE MY LUGGAGE AT YOUR OFFICE?
Of course! During Choquequirao trek, your main luggage(s) can be stored at our office or at your hotel, both are free. Please pack things you will only need during your Choquequirao trek.
HOW TO BOOK CHOQUEQUIRAO TREK
FIRST, the following personal information is necessary when completing our booking form
- Full Name (as it exactly appears on your passport)
- Passport number
- Date of Birth (DD / MM / YYYY)
Note: We require copies of everyones’ passport as they are required when purchasing permits.
SECOND, we require a deposit of 50% of the total price per person in order to secure your Choquequirao trek. Paying by VISA or PayPal online incurs 5.5% service charge. Please pay to the following email address: [email protected]
WHAT ABOUT THE BALANCE?
The remaining balance will need to be paid at our office in Cusco no more than 2 days before your tour start date; cash is preferable (we accept both US dollars and Peruvian soles). There are several ATM machines in Cusco city center, otherwise, PayPal and Visa credit card is also acceptable, however, will incur 5.5% service charge.
HOW DO I QUALIFY FOR THE STUDENT DISCOUNT?
According to Peruvian Law, you must be under 18 years of age at the time of your trek, tour, or visit to Machu Picchu to qualify for a discount.
Note: If you book a trek at the age of 17 but you turn 18 before you do your trek, you do not qualify for a student discount.
- 11 to 17 years old, the discount is $30 USD
- 6 to 11, the discount is $40 USD
- 0 to 2, they are free
All students must provide a copy of their passport at the time of booking to receive the student discount. Email us a copy at: [email protected]
MAY I CHANGE THE DATE AFTER MY TOUR HAVE BEEN CONFIRMED AND BOOKED?
Unfortunately the answer is NO. Discover Satori will have already purchased the necessary permits and scheduled and organized our crew for your trip before you have arrived in Peru. If you choose to cancel your Choquequirao trek for any reason, your deposit will be forfeited.
DO I NEED MY ORIGINAL PASSPORT ON THE CHOQUEQUIRAO TREK?
Yes ¡You must bring your original passport. It is very important that it is the same passport you sent us to book your Choquequirao trek and other reservations. If you are renewing your passport, go ahead and send us a copy of your old passport to secure your permits and we can change it when you get your new passport. Please send us a copy of your new passport as soon as you receive it.
WHAT ARE THE DIFFERENCES BETWEEN EASY, MODERATE, AND CHALLENGING TREKKING?
There is a grading system that classifies the difficulty degree of trekking trails. Easy, moderate, and challenge. The reason we have categories is to help our client’s choose a trek in the Andes that is suitable for their level and don’t be exhausted. Clients are encouraged to have a good level of physical fitness and adequate physical training ahead of time is necessary.
Easy treks: It could be suitable for all people who love it outdoors this is for the hikers who do not have previous experience, or are not looking for a difficult physical, they typically involve walking up to 6 hours a day.
Moderate treks: Only for those who have previous experience in hike or outdoors activities, these treks usually vary from 1-3 days and can reach up to an altitude of 2,700m to 4,000m. This grade is recommended for any trekker looking for something a little more challenging than just a simple walk. These trekking areas are mostly Lares trek, Inca quarry trek, Huarocondo trek.
Challenging Trekking: We recommend to our clients that you have previous easy and moderate trekking experience. Difficult treks include walking through rough trails for 8-10 hours each day and crossing high passes. Challenge treks are both long rugged terrain and altitude increases as you move higher through the scale. These are genuine expeditions where trekking skills, experience fitness and endurance is necessary (Ausangate 5days, Choquequirao to Machupicchu).
WHAT IS THE WEATHER LIKE?
The weather is very unpredictable and it’s difficult to foresee. We recommend to always dress in layers as it is easier to adjust to the different climates. Remember, we have only two official seasons in Cusco, rainy season from November to April and dry season from May to October.
|Av. Max Temp ºC||20||21||21||22||21||21||21||21||22||22||23||22|
|Av. Max Temp ºF||68||70||70||72||70||70||70||70||72||72||73||72|
|Av. Min Temp ºC||5||7||6||3||-5||-4||-1||1||4||6||6||7|
|Av. Min Temp ºF||45||45||45||40||25||28||30||34||40||43||43||45|
HOW MANY PEOPLE ARE THERE PER GROUP?
The maximum group size is of 10 people. Mostly our groups are between 2-6 people. Discover Satori specializes in small and private groups and provide a personalized service.
CAMPING TENTS SHARING
Please note, by default all Camping Tents are twin size.
Couples/partners: When you book for more than one person, we will by default group you together in a Camping Tents (unless you specifically request us not to). If you are unequal numbers (3, 5, 7 etc.) the remaining traveler will be roomed with another passenger of the same gender. Single travelers: If you are travelling alone there is no compulsory charge – you will share a double tents with another passenger of the same gender. single travelers who wish to have a private tent, if you request in advance you are going to make helpful for logistic staff and then in return they will choose for you a comfortable gear and make you don’t be worried.
ARE WE GOING TO BE PICKED UP AND DROPPED OFF AT MY ACCOMODATION AFTER THE TREK?
Absolutely, Hotel pick-ups and drop-offs are included with all of our packages. If you booked your hotel in the Sacred Valley, we will drop you off there.
WHAT HAPPENS IF I AM UNABLE TO FINISH THE CHOQUEQUIRAO TREK?
In case you are unable to finish the trek due to a health issue or other reasons, Discover Satori will assist you in getting to the nearest town for medical assistance. We always carry oxygen on the trek for any respiratory problems. In extreme cases it is highly recommended to head back to Cusco and take plan B, but you will cover your own expenses (Travel insurance required). There are no refunds in the unlikely situation that you are unable to finish the trek. However, Discover Satori may provide you with car transportation. Generally, those who have to be assisted off the trail are taken to Cachora or Cusco and if you recover quickly, they then continue the journey to Choquequirao (again cost incurred by trekker) according to the original plan.
If you’re happy with the services provided, a tip – though not compulsory – is appreciated. While it may not be customary, it is of great significance for the staff who will take care of you during the trek. It inspires excellent service and is an enhanced feature of the tourism industry across many Discover Satori destinations. Of course, you are free to tip as much as you would like, depending on your perception of the quality and the length of your trip. Remember, a tip is just voluntary and should only be given when you receive excellent service.
ARE YOU SUSTAINABLE?
Yes! We are a local, sustainable & responsible tourism operator that incorporates universal principles of tourism: protect the environment and benefit the local communities by respecting their culture and religion. With this in mind, we have trained all our local staff to know, understand and respect the sacred places and the local people.
|Duration and Trip Type:||5 days/ 4 nights. Hiking, adventure, history, culture and nature|
|Tour Location:||4-hour drive from Cusco. Departure from Capuliyoc (trail head)|
|Good for||Moderate physical fitness or better|
|Distance per Day:
Day 1: 14 Km /9 miles ( 5 to 6 hours )
Day 2: 16 km/9.5 miles ( 7-8 hours )
Day 3: ( Full day exploring )
Day 4: 18km /11.3 miles ( 8-9 hours)
Day 5: 7 km/ 4.3 miles ( 3-4 hours)
Note: Walking times depend on the group’s hiking ability. The guide may change lunch spots and campsites, depending on the group’s progress.
|Difficulty Level:||Moderate to Challenging, but rewarding hike|
|Elevation:||1,600 m (5,250 ft) to 3,100 m (10,826 ft)|
|Campsites Altitude:||Night 1: 1,600 m (5,250 ft)
Night 2: 3,033 m (9,950 ft)
Night 3: 3,033 m (9,950 ft)
Night 4: 2,100 m ( 6,889 ft)
|Season and Weather:||May – October: Dry season
November – April: Changeable weather – cold, windy, rainy, warm, hot and humid
|Group Size:||Fully customized Private Service.|
|Suppliers’ Services||Horses, Bus Transport and Accommodations|
|Activities:||Journey 4 hours by private car to the trail head, hike for 4.5 days, visit avocado plantations, explore the Inca site of Choquequirao and enjoy hot spring in Conoc.|