Salkantay Trek & Inca Trail Trek 4 Days
Explore “Deep Peru”, hiking one of Peru’s most picturesque landscapes around Cusco. The Salkantay trek to Machu Picchu that follows the path of the Incas is celebrated and considered by National Geographic Adventure Travel Magazine to be among the 25 best Treks in the World. This magnificent trail is perfect for adventurers who wish to become personally integrated in changing ecosystems from one day to the next and for those who want to turn back the time and learn the rich culture of the Incas. Look at¡; This 4-days trekking expedition will take you at the base of the sacred SALKANTAY snow peak (6,271 meters; 20,700 feet), considered by the local natives to be the “Guardian Spirit of the Jungle” and will provide you with the opportunity to experience with your own eyes the remote native villages, secluded lakes, waterfalls, the paradise of lush cloud forest and region’s other ecological biodiversity, before reaching the Sanctuary of MACHU PICCHU. You will need a good dose of adrenaline as you hike up a pass above 5100 meters (16732 feet).
The trip is supported with horses for your convenience and we provide you with top quality camping equipment and a very balanced and energy-rich diet.
Would you like a remote experience in the Andes? If so, then secure your spot today!
Peru is a natural wonder, full of tourist attractions and sights that will take your breath away. Ancient indigenous cultures, Spanish colonial influence, the quest for independence, cultural mixture, and an astonishing geography have all shaped Peru throughout the centuries. For that reason:
- Salkantay trek is celebrated by National Geographic Adventure Travel Magazine to be among the 25 best Treks in the World.
- Relish in a morning visit to the absolutely crystalline Humantay Lake nestled at the base of Apu Humantay Mountain (Day 1).
- Hike along the winding Salkantay trail with the mountain’s tallest peak right before your eyes (Day 1 and Day 2).
- This trek is ideal for adventure seekers, couples, friends, nature lovers, and intrepid people.
- You will hike along part of the famous Inca Trail and accompanied by breathtaking landscapes along the Urbamba River, also you will enjoy the sacred inkan sites and Wakayuillque snowing Mountain (Day 3).
- Explore the astonishing the lost city of the Incas Machu Picchu (Day 4).
- Create your unforgettable trip to Machu Picchu via PeruRail or Inca Rail Train (Day 4).
Day 1 Cusco – Soraypampa- Humantay lake-Salkantaypampa-Ichupata/ Pampa japonesa
Early morning pick up from your hotel or accommodation in Cusco at approx. 4:15 AM. You will then begin the 3.5-hour drive to the trail head in Soraypampa. You’ll pass through the small town of Mollepata and continue to Soraypampa for breakfast. After breakfast, your trek will start by visiting Humantay lagoon, where you will hike approximately 1.5 hours along a steady uphill. After enjoying this magical and crystalline lake, you will make your way back down by the same path to the main trail. Your hike will continue for 2 more hours to the Salkantaypampa where you will get your first views of Salkantay peak and where you will have your lunch. After enjoying your lunch and siesta you will carry on ascending through a winding trail until you get to the campsite at Ichupata/Pampa Japonesa, where you will enjoy a warm dinner.
Day 2 Ichupata – Salkantay pass –Inca Canal-Paucarcancha
After an early breakfast, you will get ready to test your physical condition, because today is your big day and the day you have to tackle Salakntay Pass or Condor Pass located at a dizzying height of 16,732 feet (5,100 m). Take heart, it will take just 3 hours or so to get to the highest pass, then take your time to appreciate the towering majesty of the glacier cap, some views of the Andes, and others mountain chains. After a well-deserved rest, we will descend the mountain slowly until we reach Sisaypata where you will have lunch nearby. Then you will continue downhill surrounded by flora and fauna to the campsite at Paucarcancha.
Day 3 Paucarcancha-Llactapata-km82-Ollantaytambo-Aguas Calientes
After a healthy breakfast, the trail continues down the ravine valley into Inca trail. Today, you will enjoy a gentler trail and a warmer climate as you walk along the banks of the Urubamba River through the lush vegetation, archeological sites and a couple of communities.
You will have lunch at midpoint of the trail known as Mescay. After your lunch, you will hike to km 82 where you will meet our private van Ollantaytambo-bound. Once in Ollantaytambo, you will enjoy your dinner and will take a train to Aguas Calientes town for your overnight stay.
DAY 4: Private Machu Picchu Tour. Return to Cusco.
Day 4 will be one of the more remarkable and busy day, because you will visit one of the 7 new wonders of the world and thus you will need to wake up early and will go up to Machu Picchu sanctuary with your guide by bus and you will have a memorable walking tour through the “Lost City of the Incas”. Let yourself be swept away by the magical landscape that surrounds this important ruin. Finish up with last photos and then return to Aguas Calientes town for the return trip to Cusco.
Climb Huayna Picchu/ Machu Picchu Mountain for views over the ruins or add an extra day in Machu Picchu.
MAP (Cusco, Mollepata, Soraypampa, Salkantaypampa, Ichu Pata, Pampa japonesa ,Salkantay pass, Sisay Pata, Inca Canal, Paucarcancha, Wayllabamba, Patallacta, Mesacy, km82 (Piscacucho), Ollantaytambo, Aguas Calientes, Machupicchu ).
- Pre-departure briefing in our office or your hotel. Time to be determined by the Company.
- Private Accommodation: 2 nights camping on the Salkantay trek and 1 night of accommodation in three-star hotel. The hotel you book will be listed on your invoice. Upgrading hotels are always possible at additional cost.
- Camping equipment: Dining and kitchen tents, Portable toilet tent, tables, chairs, and cooking equipment (all carried by the horses).
- Inflatable mattress: Thermarest air mattresses that are 3 inches thick and add a lot of comfort to sleep and rest.
- Pillow, rain ponchos and duffel bag.
- Transportation: You will be provided with all transportation for this trek. You will be picked up directly from your hotel around 4:15 A.M., and brought to the trail head. A roundtrip bus ticket is included from Aguas Calientes to Machu Picchu Inca City and return. The train back from Aguas Calientes to Ollantaytambo or Poroy will be on the Expedition Class Train and will be included in your trip (Day 4). You also have the option to upgrade to the Vistadome train for $75 per person. Once you arrive at the train station, our van will take you back to your hotel in Cusco (Day 4).
- Professional Guides: English speaking, professionally educated guides. All of our guides studied English and tourism at Cusco National University. They all grew up in the Cusco region, and are committed to teaching others about their heritage. They are fun yet professional and will ensure you are safe, sound and happy so you can enjoy your time worry-free!
- Trekking Chef: A chef specialized in cooking on the trail, with an assistant to prepare all of your delicious meals along the journey to replenish your energy.
- Cargo Mules: On days 1, 2 and 3, cargo mules will carry all camping equipment and your personal baggage allowance (7 kgs/15.4 lbs). On days 3 and 4, your duffel bags will be carried by car or train to your destination.
- 1 Saddle horse or emergency horse: This service will only be available the first 2 days of the trek, as those are the most challenging ones.
- Meals: 4 Breakfasts, 3 Lunches, 3 Dinners (Vegetarian, vegan, or special menus are available at no extra cost), 4 Snacks, 3 happy hours. All these meals are prepared by our Chef.
- Water: We will provide you water for your morning hike every day and again during lunch. We suggest to bring your camel bag and extra energy drinks for this trek, because being well hydrated is the key to feeling great in the mountains.
- Products for hygiene: You will be provided with a small towel, soap and hand sanitizer before each meal to clean your hands.
- Entry ticket to Machu Picchu Archeological Site and Salkantay trail.
- First-aid kit: Our guides have received training in first aid from Physicians. Our guides will bring emergency oxygen bottle as well.
- Satellite Phones: Our top priority will always be the safety of our clients and our team. While all our guides are prepared and trained to deal with most issues clients have on the mountain. Being a phone call away from any doctor, hospital, or friend helps everyone feel assured that they are safe. Radios, which all our guides have, are limited in how far they can reach, so Discover Satori has added Satellite Phones to every trek. Every guide will have a fully charged phone that can be used anywhere on the mountain to connect us anywhere in the world. And they can be used by our clients for non-emergencies as well.
- Sleeping Bags:You can rent one from our company if you do not have your own. Our sleeping bags are effective and durable to protect from temperatures as low as -18ºC (0ºF). They are mummy form and include a sleeping liner. The bags are cleaned after every use and have a maximum usage of 30 trips. (Cost: USD $20).
- Walking Sticks:You can rent a set from our company if you would like (Cost: USD $15/pair).
- Last Day: Lunch and Dinner in Aguas Calientes.
- Travel Insurance.
- Tips for our staff:Tipping is of course 100% voluntary and should only be done if you feel like your guide, porters, horse men and Chef have done an amazing job for you.
- Additional costsor delays out of control of the management (landslides, bad weather condition, itinerary modification due to a safety concern, altitude sickness, change of government policy, political instability/strike, etc.).
- Wayna Picchu: $75 USD and Machu Picchu Mountain $75 USD – This needs to be booked in advance, if you would like to add an extra hike. These hikes sell out. Please let us know at the time of booking.
Huayna Picchu and Machu Picchu Mountain are the mountains that stand next to Machu Picchu Inca City. It is a 45-minute hike to the top. Going back down is quite steep if you are scared of heights. You would do this after your tour of Machu Picchu. The cost is USD $75 each. Arrangements need to be made at least one month in advance due to popularity. Please understand that the inclement weather is out of our control.
DEPARTURE AVAILABILITY DATES
This classic Salkantay trek is available almost all year, this tour IS CLOSED in February due to heavy rainy season and landslides during this month. On the other hand, Peru usually celebrates annual festivities, special events, special occasions and activities such as: The Feast of the Sun, Easter Sunday procession, Folkloric Parade, Carnival, Christmas Day, Bullfighting, and so on, occasionally, unforeseen events such as: Solar and Lunar eclipses would be a surprising experience for you. For this reasons, Discover Satori guarantees your departure dates. BOOK now! Only your confirmation is needed.
CLICK here to check your availability for Annual Festivities, Special Events & Machu Picchu.
For this trek you will need one holdall or duffel bag, which we will provide. However, you will be carrying your small day pack while hiking. Please pack as light as possible. A light backpack is key to feeling great!
- Passport (very important)
- Valid STUDENT CARD (if you booked as a student)
- Immigration Card (given on the plane as you enter Peru)
- Good daypack (the smaller, the better)
- Water storage: Water reservoir like Camelbaks or bottles are good for this trek.
- Water for the beginning of your hike. We will resupply you at lunch.
- Comfortable hiking boots (lightweight with good soles) and sandals.(very important)
- 4 Wicking/Hiking T-Shirts& and 2 hiking pants.
- Nice shirt and pants for Machu Picchu day – remember you will always treasure these photos, wear something you love
- Waterproof jacket/rain poncho, warm jacket, down jacket, fleece or sweater, scarf, wool hat, sunglasses, gloves, 4 set of socks.
- Bathing suits for the hot springs (Optional on your own in Aguas Calientes).
- Sun protection cream and sun hat (very important)
- Insect Repellent
- Personal first aid kit if you have it
- IPhone/IPod for music
- Flashlight or head lamp with spare batteries (very important)
- Extra money for souvenirs, drinks & tips.
- Face moisturizer
- Hand Sanitizer
- Wet wipes
- Toothbrush and toothpaste
- Personal medications
- First aid kit: band aids, moleskin, etc
Price and Payment
We require a deposit of 50% of the total price per person, in order to book and secure any trek or city tour with Discover Satori. The deposit can be made by PayPal, which will incur a 5.5% merchant fee paid by the traveler, or by wire to Bank of America or Citibank (for free if you are a fellow account holder).
Please notify us if paying by wire transferor Paypal the address to send your deposit to is email@example.com. All deposits are fully non-refundable and non-transferable. In the event that you need to cancel your trip, cancellation fees will be assessed as outlined below under our cancellation policy. If canceling, you may not transfer your deposit to another person’s trek.
Bank Account Number: XXXXXXX (US DOLLARS)
Paying Bank: Bank of America, TX
Account Holder: Discover Satori
Swift Code: XXXXX
NOTE. Non-Refundable, Non-Transferable Deposit
WAYS TO PAY
1) Credit card Visa, American Express. Diners Club, Mastercard payments will incur an additional credit card merchant service charge of 8%
2) Paypal payments will incur an additional merchant service charge of 5.5%.
3) Western union payments will need to be addressed as follows:
Full name: FREDY CUSI HUAMAN
Address: APV. Jardines Del Inca C-10, Cusco – Perú
Please don’t forget to send us the tracking code (MTCN) in order to pick up the deposit and confirm your booking.
|GROUP PRICE (2020) FROM USD $597 PER PERSON|
|Private Tours are based on Group Size (2020)|
|Number of Trekkers||Price per Person|
|7 or more||USD $597|
Permit permitting, we are excited for this opportunity of a lifetime to guide you through the Salkantay trek and into Machu Picchu.
Please read the following information carefully as it will help answer all of your questions about our services and the Salkantay trek to Machu Picchu.
ARRIVAL TO CUSCO
You will be welcomed at the Cusco airport by one of our representatives and taken to your hotel. Please ensure that you inform us of your flight details at least 14 days prior to your trek. Upon your arrival, locate our representative holding an orange board bearing our company name Discover Satori. You must exit the terminal, in order to find our representative (they are not allowed inside the terminal).
Your briefing will take place at our office at 6:00 or 6:30 P.M. the night before your trek, depending on your confirmation email details. Our office is located at Jardines Del Inca C-10, Cusco
CAN I STORE MY LUGGAGE AT YOUR OFFICE?
Of course! During Salkantay trek to Machu Picchu, your luggage(s) can be stored at our office or at your hotel at no cost to you. Please pack things you will only need during your Salkantay trek to Machu Picchu.
HOW TO BOOK SALKANTAY & INCA TRAIL TREK
FIRST, the following personal information is necessary when completing our booking form
- Full Name (as it exactly appears on your passport)
- Passport number
- Date of Birth (DD / MM / YYYY)
Note: We require copies of everyones’ passport as they are required when purchasing permits.
SECOND, we require a deposit of 50% of the total price per person in order to secure your Salkantay trek to Machupicchu. Paying by VISA or PayPal online incurs 5.5% service charge. Please pay to the following email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
WHAT I NEED TO KNOW ABOUT HUAYNA PICCHU MOUNTAIN
The Peruvian Government has strict limited capacity of people permitted on the Huayna Picchu Mountain for 2020 (permits are available only for 400 people per day, which are split into two groups).
First Group of 200. Available at 7:00 A.M
Second Group of 200. Available at 10:00 A.M
Therefore, we recommend that you reserve your space far in advance as possible.
WHAT ABOUT THE BALANCE?
The remaining balance will need to be paid at our office in Cusco no more than 2 days before your tour start date; cash is preferable (we accept both US dollars and Peruvian soles). There are several ATM machines in Cusco city center, otherwise, PayPal and Visa credit card is also acceptable, however, will incur 5.5% service charge.
HOW DO I QUALIFY FOR THE STUDENT DISCOUNT?
According to Peruvian Law, you must be under 18 years of age at the time of your trek, tour, or visit to Machu Picchu to qualify for a discount.
Note: If you book a trek at the age of 17 but you turn 18 before you do your trek, you do not qualify for a student discount.
- 11 to 17 years old, the discount is $30 USD
- 6 to 11, the discount is $40 USD
- 0 to 2, they are free
All students must provide a copy of their passport at the time of booking to receive the student discount. Email us a copy at: email@example.com
MAY I CHANGE THE DATE AFTER THE PERMITS HAVE BEEN PURCHASED?
Unfortunately, the answer is NO. Once the Salkantay trek to Machu Picchu permits have been bought from the Peruvian government, changes are not allowed. Machu Picchu permits are not transferable nor refundable. The deposit is not refundable if you cancel your Salkantay trek to Machu Picchu.
DO I NEED MY ORIGINAL PASSPORT ON THE SALKANTAY & INCA TRAIL TREK?
YES! You have to bring your original passport and it is very important that it is the same passport you sent us to book your Salkantay trek to Machu Picchu and other reservations. Passports will be checked when you enter Machu Picchu, during your hotel stays and to board the train. In case, you are renewing your passport, go ahead and send us a copy of your old passport to secure your permits and we can change it when you get your new passport. Please send a copy of your new Passport or updated Passport as soon as possible.
WHAT ARE THE DIFFERENCES BETWEEN EASY, MODERATE, AND CHALLENGING TREKKING?
There is a grading system that classifies the difficulty degree of trekking trails. Easy, moderate, and challenge. The reason we have categories is to help our client’s choose a trek in the Andes that is suitable for their level and don’t be exhausted. Clients are encouraged to have a good level of physical fitness and adequate physical training ahead of time is necessary.
Easy treks: It could be suitable for all people who love it outdoors this is for the hikers who do not have previous experience, or are not looking for a difficult physical, they typically involve walking up to 6 hours a day.
Moderate treks: Only for those who have previous experience in hike or outdoors activities, these treks usually vary from 1-3 days and can reach up to an altitude of 2,700m to 4,000m. This grade is recommended for any trekker looking for something a little more challenging than just a simple walk. These trekking areas are mostly Lares trek, Inca quarry trek, Huarocondo trek.
Challenging Trekking: We recommend to our clients that you have previous easy and moderate trekking experience. Difficult treks include walking through rough trails for 8-10 hours each day and crossing high passes. Challenge treks are both long rugged terrain and altitude increases as you move higher through the scale. These are genuine expeditions where trekking skills, experience fitness and endurance is necessary (Ausangate 5days, Choquequirao to Machupicchu).
WHAT IS THE WEATHER LIKE?
The weather is very unpredictable and it’s difficult to foresee. We recommend to always dress in layers as it is easier to adjust to the different climates. Remember, we have only two official seasons in Cusco, rainy season from November to April and dry season from May to October.
|Av. Max Temp ºC||20||21||21||22||21||21||21||21||22||22||23||22|
|Av. Max Temp ºF||68||70||70||72||70||70||70||70||72||72||73||72|
|Av. Min Temp ºC||5||7||6||3||-5||-4||-1||1||4||6||6||7|
|Av. Min Temp ºF||45||45||45||40||25||28||30||34||40||43||43||45|
HOW MANY PEOPLE ARE THERE PER GROUP?
The maximum group size is of 10 people. Mostly our groups are between 2-6 people. Discover Satori specializes in small and private groups and provide a personalized service.
CAMPING TENTS SHARING
Please note, by default all Camping Tents are twin size.
Couples/partners: When you book for more than one person, we will by default group you together in a Camping Tents (unless you specifically request us not to). If you are unequal numbers (3, 5, 7 etc.) the remaining traveler will be roomed with another passenger of the same gender. Single travelers: If you are travelling alone there is no compulsory charge – you will share a double tents with another passenger of the same gender. single travelers who wish to have a private tent, if you request in advance you are going to make helpful for logistic staff and then in return they will choose for you a comfortable gear and make you don’t be worried.
ARE WE GOING TO BE PICKED UP AND DROPPED OFF AT MY ACCOMMODATION AFTER THE TREK?
Absolutely, Hotel pick-ups and drop-offs are included with all of our packages. If you booked your hotel in the Sacred Valley, we will drop you off there.
WHAT TIME DOES THE TRAIN DEPART FROM AGUAS CALIENTES?
It will depend on the train availability but the idea is to give you as much time as possible in Machu Picchu and enjoy the amazing views on the way back to Cusco while on the train. Therefore, you will take the train at 3: 30 P.M. or 4:22 P.M. This train Schedule will allow you more than 7 hours to enjoy Machu Picchu!
WHAT HAPPENS IF I AM UNABLE TO FINISH THE SALKANTAY TREK?
In case you are unable to finish the trek due to a health issue or other reasons, Discover Satori will assist you in getting to the nearest town for medical assistance. We always carry oxygen on the trek for any respiratory problems. In extreme cases it is highly recommended to head back to Cusco and take plan B, but you will cover your own expenses (Travel insurance required). There are no refunds in the unlikely situation that you are unable to finish the trek. However, Discover Satori may provide you with car transportation. Generally, those who have to be assisted off the trail are taken to Ollantaytambo or Cusco and if you recover quickly, they then continue the journey to Aguas Calientes (again cost incurred by trekker) and visit Machu Picchu according to the original plan.
If you’re happy with the services provided, a tip – though not compulsory – is appreciated. While it may not be customary, it is of great significance for the staff who will take care of you during the trek. It inspires excellent service and is an entrenched feature of the tourism industry across many Discover Satori destinations. Of course, you are free to tip as much as you would like, depending on your perception of the quality and the length of your trip. Remember, a tip is just voluntary and should only be given when you receive excellent service.
ARE YOU SUSTAINABLE?
Yes! We are a local, sustainable & responsible tourism operator that incorporates universal principles of tourism: protect the environment and benefit the local communities by respecting their culture and religion. With this in mind, we have trained all our local staff to know, understand and respect the sacred places and the local people.
|Duration and Trip Type:||4 days/ 3 nights. Hiking, adventure, history, culture and nature|
|Tour Location:||3.5-hour drive from Cusco. Departure from Soraypampa (trail head)|
|Good for:||Moderate physical fitness or better|
|Distance per Day:
Day 1: 14 Km /8 miles (8 to 9 hours)
Day 2: 18 km/11 miles ( 10-11 hours )
Day 3: 15 km/ 9.4 miles (6-7 hours )
Day 4: 0km/ 0miles
Note: Walking times depend on the group’s hiking ability. The guide may change lunch spots and campsites, depending on the group’s progress.
|Difficulty Level:||Moderate to Challenging, but rewarding hike|
|Elevation:||2,200 m (7,217 ft) to 5,100 m (16,732 ft)|
|Campsites Altitude:||Night 1: 4,500 m (14,763 ft)
Night 2: 3,350 m (10,990 ft)
Night 3: 2,000 m (6,561 ft) at hotel in Machu Picchu
|Season and Weather:||May – October: Dry season
November – April: Changeable weather – cold, windy, rainy, warm, hot and humid
|Group Size:||Fully customized Private Service.|
|Suppliers’ Services||Horses, Peru Rail train/ Inca rail train, Bus Transport and Accommodations|
|Activities:||Journey 3.5 hours by private car to the trail head, hike for 3 days, visit Inca Canal, visit Humantay Lake, exploring some sections of Inca Trail and enjoy Machu Picchu.|